Monday, July 22, 2019

A Return to Form

It's been a while since I've posted here and to be honest I've toyed with the idea of either deleting/archiving this blog and starting a new one, or just continuing on. If you're reading this, you do randomly read these posts and I appreciate it greatly so I'll stick with it for now. This is going to be the biggest update post I've made in some time so if you're interested, read on after the break!


Anyway, life has given me so many ups and downs lately (even in just the last three months) that I don't even know where to begin covering things. How about a general overview first?

I moved my hobby club, The War College, to Colpar's Hobbytown in Aurora in October 10th of 2015 and haven't looked back. We've been at a lot of shitty stores since the closure of Attactix back on August 2nd of 2011 (Troll Country Games, Denver Central Games, Shieldbreakers, and Crit Castle Games, all run by some downright shady people hence the stores closing or losing our business) but we've been at Colpar for almost 4 happy years now. I never thought our club would be able to meet up at a store that offered the same amenities that Attactix did but Colpar does so and then some. We've grown to about 375 people in our facebook group and about 20-35 people showing up fairly regularly every Saturday at Colpar.

Since we moved the club to Colpar, several major things have happened in the hobby world. As for Games Workshop "news", Warhammer 40,000 got its 8th edition, Age of Sigmar was released and even got its 2nd edition, Necromunda was reprinted as Shadow War Armageddon, then they released Necromunda and Kill Team, we got Adeptus "not epic" Titanicus, and a ton of model releases, smaller boxed games, a two-book 40k campaign, and a new edition of Apocalypse that is it's own complete separate game from everything else (it just uses 40k models).

I'm not even going to begin to cover video game releases since then, just use google lol, but stand-outs for me over the last few years are Witcher 3, MGSV, Doom, Sea of Thieves, God of War, RDR2, and the greatest game of all time The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. The Nintendo Switch is an amazing console with great features and stellar games; I couldn't be happier with it and there's still so much more on the way from Nintendo (including a Breath of the Wild sequel!).

As for other game companies, a few notable ones have closed or sold to another company or even just straight up lost the license to make games for certain IPs. Of note are Spartan Games' closure, Prodos losing AVP, and Fantasy Flight losing GW.

Meanwhile, Wizards of the Coast's Dungeons and Dragons got its 5th edition almost 5 years ago and about 3 years ago I decided to start playing regularly again (my current group is celebrating 3 years playing together). It's been an absolute blast and I'm fortunate to have a group of people who want to keep playing with me as their shitty DM lol. We started off with Storm King's Thunder, then played Tomb of Annihilation, Waterdeep Dragon Heist, Waterdeep Dungeon of the Mad Mage, and now we're dabbling in Ghosts of Saltmarsh adventures. We've also run the Tomb of Horrors and I've done a little homebrew in between adventure book releases.

Oh, and I also just recently bought a 2018 Dodge Challenger SXT with a 3.7 L V6 and over 300 horsepower! It's the very first car I've purchased that's this new, this fast, and isn't one I settled on (one that I chose to buy is what I'm getting at). I'm so happy with it!

Ultimately though I started this blog off as a 40k blog where I had planned on giving my thoughts on various codexes, supplemental releases, edition changes, and army lists and I kind of want to return to that. I've taken a break from playing 40k at least once a week every week and have instead been playing a mix of games (including 40k) to try to keep things interesting. The problem with doing so is that I've been slipping quite a bit with my rules as time between games for a specific system could be months before I cycle back. I've been trying to play more 40k lately and even narrow it down to a specific army rather than cycling through my armies for the exact same reasons. So, expect to read a lot more about lists I'm running, games I've played, and of course releases and FAQ updates along the way.

I know I've made some posts that may seem controversial to some regarding the performance of a certain communist fish army lol, but it's because there are so many people willingly spreading misinformation and even hurtful information about the game likely tying back to some bad experience they've had with some not-so-friendly people. I went maybe a little too far trying to "set the record straight" and unfortunately it seems like I wasted my time because some people took my posts, opinions, and facts as just more fuel for the fire instead of as informative, and I know the way I phrased things and the language I used didn't help. That will change going forward; I'd like my blog to be pleasant to read where people look forward to excitement and positivity rather than trying to counter others' negativity or just plain ranting. Of course I'll still be blunt with the facts and my opinions but I'll try to keep things lighthearted.

On a quick, much sadder note, yesterday the 40k community learned of the passing of Geoff "iNcontroL" Robinson of StarCraft II fame and who recently won the Bay Area Open (BAO). I didn't know him but I watched him play 40k games whenever he was on streams and I know he and Frankie Giampapa had just been made GW's Warhammer 40k commentators or at least liaisons at local major tournaments like LVO/BAO, Adepticon, NOVA Open, etc. He was good friends with Frankie and Reece Robbins of Frontline Gaming (and had been in many, many batreps on their youtube channel) so I know they are also likely reeling from this news. His twitter account is where the news was originally leaked but all it said was "died from a sudden illness." A little bit of scrolling on his twitter account revealed he had been dealing with an infection near his femoral artery for a month and it appears that may be the root cause. Regardless he was a nice guy and an amazing gamer and he will be missed by many.

Alright, anyway, sorry for that roller-coaster of emotions there but again thanks for reading and stay tuned for hopefully more posts that share my excitement for these hobbies.

No comments:

Post a Comment