Saturday, November 10, 2012

Tyranids making a comeback?


Today I'd like to share a 2,000 point list I made based on a few different sources of input. Remember back to the old days of the 4th Edition codex, and the Psychic Choir army list? Well I've come up with something that is very reminiscent of that list and I'm running it today!

2,000 points (1,999+1) - Hive Fleet Hydrus (my own hive fleet)

HQ
Hive Tyrant (Telepathy/Psychic Shriek, LW/BS, TL Devourer, Hive Commander, Toxin Sacs, Wings, Leech Essence/Paroxysm, Warlord)
Hive Tyrant (Telepathy/Psychic Shriek, LW/BS, TL Devourer, Hive Commander, Toxin Sacs, Wings, Leech Essence/Paroxysm)

ELITES
3 Zoanthropes (Telepathy/Psychic Shriek, Mycetic Spore)
3 Zoanthropes (Telepathy/Psychic Shriek, Mycetic Spore)
3 Zoanthropes (Telepathy/Psychic Shriek, Mycetic Spore)

TROOPS
7 Genestealers (Toxin Sacs, Broodlord with Telepathy/Psychic Shriek)
7 Genestealers (Toxin Sacs, Broodlord with Telepathy/Psychic Shriek)
Tervigon (Catalyst, Telepathy/Psychic Shriek)
10 Termagants
Tervigon (Catalyst, Telepathy/Psychic Shriek)
10 Termagants

So this list has 15 Psychic Shrieks in it. That's right, 15 12" shooting powers that make enemy units take Ld tests on 3D6 and suffer a wound (ignoring Armor and Cover) for each point they fail the tests by. That's every turn, by the way. My Flyrants can start by delivering Shrieks wherever they are needed first (Longfangs, units behind Defense Lines, etc) while the Genestealers attempt to infiltrate for good positioning and assist the Flyrants in eliminating units. Then, in turn two I get to re-roll reserves for the three Zoanthrope squads coming down in Mycetic Spores, which will be nine more Shrieks aimed at whatever I want, as well as the two Tervigons coming in off of the sides of the table (thanks to the Hive Commander upgrade on the Flyrants) which also have Psychic Shriek. The Tervigons and Flyrants can pop armor like it's nothing (they're Tyranid Monstrous Creatures, that's what they do best lol), and I'm certain I have the whole "anti-troop" aspect down with the Shrieks lol.

Now, I'd like to say up front that there are a few lists out there that will annihilate this one with minimal effort. Simple items like the Runepriest's psy-power negation rod (the 4+ one) as well as Eldar's Runes of Warding will cause this list to have a really bad day. However, those games should be few and far in between. Against a majority of opponents, this seems like it will do fairly well, and I'm super excited to see how it does at my friendly local game store later this evening. I'll either comment below with results or make a new post depending on how well it did lol.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. This looks NASTY! I'm curious to hear how it performs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll make a post about it late tonight. Sorry for the delay. It went okay, not too impressed. You'll see my reasoning and my new ideas in the post I make. :)

    ReplyDelete