Monday, January 30, 2012
Change is coming...
1. I got a job! Yes, after being unemployed for [Redacted], I have finally secured another job! This time I will be working for a call center that promises promotion opportunities within six to nine months. I hope I can prove I'm worth it! Sure, I'm scared I might not cut the mustard and I don't know how I'm going to deal with being away from my family for a vast majority of the week, but I know I'm just one in maybe billions of people that feel the same way. I hope that juggling "focusing the job" with "spending time with my family" and "still having a social life" (however small it may end up being) doesn't drive me completely insane. It's a daunting task but I'm looking forward to joining the ranks of the employed and being a productive member of society again, that and well getting PAID.
2. No more wrestling. For those that didn't know, I took up WWE-style wrestling as a hobby last summer. It's been an absolute blast but unfortunately my future work schedule will directly cancel out any chance of me being able to continue to participate. Just when I started doing something I enjoyed that could have possibly brought in a little money, I got a real job instead and so a childhood dream disappears. Oh well, it's not like I am physically fit or young enough to be anything more than a "yarder" or "jobber".
3. My FLGS (Friendly Local Game Store) let go of one of their co-owners/managers! To sum up a long story, he was embezzling, stealing, lying, and being negligent. Aside from nearly killing the store (trust me, it would have been dead in a few months), he broke almost every "promise" he made my gaming club to get us to pick his store. The other owner is a kid I used to DM for back in the day at my old FLGS before it closed, so in addition to him being a lot cooler and more responsible, I'm glad to see him take the reigns and run the business as it should be run. The store is instantaneously a "cool place to play at" again, and I don't see myself (or my club) going anywhere else in the years to come. I couldn't be happier.
4. Warhammer 40,000 just had a "fake" 6th Edition playtest document leak all over the internet. I put fake in quotations because I have heard enough stories saying it is and isn't fake that I'm not even sure anymore. It seems like every week now some new evidence comes to light "proving" one side of the argument, and the following week it will "prove" the other side. Either way only an insignificant percentage of people who have actually read (and play-tested) the rules don't like it. In other words, regardless of the source it's being hailed as an extremely balanced and fun rules set, and players are vowing that if the real 6th Edition 40k rules aren't as good as this "leak", they are dropping 40k altogether! I certainly can't wait to play it for myself, since at the very least it's a distraction until the real 6th Edition rules come out on July 14th.
5. I'm sure there's more events to report but at the moment my brain is so fried with everything that's been going on that I'm unable to remember them all. Let me just add a bit of emphasis to the above with "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".
Well, over the next few weeks I'll be super busy with the job (training and then actual work) and I have no idea how this will affect everything. Supposedly the amount of pay and the schedule I'm getting will allow me enough time off and spare cash to have the best of all three worlds (job, family, fun), but given my long history with chronic bad luck, I doubt it will all just "work out". We'll see though.
In the mean time, I will post updates this week regarding my situation and if I'll have time to dedicate to blog posts and hobby projects or not. So for those that do read this blog, THANK YOU SO MUCH!