Friday, January 15, 2010

First Game with new Tyranids

So last night I played my first game using the new Tyranid codex (and of course proxying a few models that I have yet to purchase). I played against my wife's Necrons, and I used this 2,000 point list:

HQ
Swarm-Lord (280 points)
Parasite of Mortrex (160 points)

Elites
3x Hive Guard (150 points)
2x Zoanthropes, (120 points)
2x Zoanthropes, (120 points)

Troops
16 Termagaunts, (80 points)
16 Termagaunts, (80 points)
16 Termaguants, (80 points)
Tervigon, scything talons, catalyst (180 points)
Tervigon, scything talons, catalyst (180 points)

Heavy
Trygon (200 points)
Trygon (200 points)
Mawloc (170 points)


So, we rolled an Annihilation/Pitched Battle game and I won the roll to go first. I set up mostly centered in my deployment zone but fairly spread out. Having 8 creatures with Synapse in the army REALLY helped my deployment considering every creature without synapse must test for Instinctive Behavior. In response, Amy set up all three of her 10-man Warrior units in a 4-level ruin, with both of her 8-man Immortal units and a Lord with a Res Orb in it as well. She then put the Monolith dead-center in her deployment zone, and put her 5 Destroyers with the Destroyer Lord off to her right, hoping to flank my swarm and pick off the Termagaunt units without shooting through cover.


After several pauses throughout the first two turns to look up abilities and weapon stats, the game started to flow quite smoothly. She proceeded to pick up at least half of my entire Termagaunt force in the first two turns, but when my Trygons and Mawloc came in, things DEFINITELY changed in my favor. It was at that point that the Tyranids regained momentum and started annihilating whole units at a time. The game went slightly back and forth for a bit with a lot of highly effective Necron shooting and disgusting Tyranid assaults, but in the end the bugs claimed the tomb world and PHASED OUT the Necrons before rolling to see if there was a 6th turn! If there would have been, however, both sides had approximately 8 kill points each!


In one of the better games I have played with Tyranids in a while, I have to thank my wife for being such a good sport. She made the game quite enjoyable and I'm glad I got to use the nasty new Monstrous Creatures to such great effect.


However, I didn't walk away from that game completely satisfied. I have thought about some of the units and how they performed and I think I'm going to make a few small changes before I playtest the army some more tonight with the War College where I know I'll face some slightly more stiff competition.


Here's my "Big Bug List" v2.0


HQ
Swarmlord (280 points)

Elites
3x Hive Guard (150 points)
2x Zoanthropes (120 points)
2x Zoanthropes (120 points)


Troops
16 Termagaunts (80 points)
16 Termagaunts (80 points)
15 Termagaunts (75 points)
Tervigon, Catalyst (175 points)
Tervigon, Catalyst (175 points)
Tervigon, Catalyst (175 poitns)


Heavy Support
Trygon (200 points)
Trygon (200 points)
Mawloc (170 points)


I'll comment on this post when I get back tonight, letting you all know how things went. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment