Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Warhammer Fantasy 8th Edition

So today I tried a small game of Warhammer Fantasy using the new 8th Edition rules. My wife and I used the minis found in the 6th Edition starter set (Orcs and Empire) and after using Army Builder to tally up the points we found that the two forces were exactly 415 points. The Orcs got a Warboss on a Boar, a Boar-Boy Chariot, 16 Arrer Boyz, and 16 Orc Boyz with a single hand weapon, while the Empire got a General of the Empire on a Warhorse, a Great Cannon, 16 Handgunners, and 16 Spearmen. Both forces had one musician and one standard bearer.

We had picked up the new template set, the new counter set, and the battle magic cards, but only ended up using the counters. They helped tremendously in keeping us aware of all the things that were going on.

Now, this wasn't my first game of Fantasy. I have played two games of 7th Edition, but something just drew me in to Fantasy and I can't quite put my finger on it. When I heard Fantasy was getting a new edition this summer, I decided to hold off on buying into the game until the new rules came out, and I have done precisely that. And since I have no idea what I'm doing yet, I can proudly say I didn't start 8th Edition because of any rules rumors as I'd be clueless as to what they meant.

And back to the game I played tonight, it was quite a lot of fun. My wife left the Warboss all alone and did not attach him to either of the Boyz units, which ended up winning her the game. It flew down my flanks and charged my great cannon, demolishing it, and then chose to overrun into some handgunners in their flank. Brilliant.

I am excited to play more Fantasy and I think that so far I'm liking the new rules. Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment