Thursday, March 11, 2010

Codex: Blood Angels


Okay, now that we're only three weeks away from the release of the new Blood Angels codex, we have a lot more solid information as to what's in it by people that have seen the actual book.

One of the things I want to talk about is the Descent of Angels ability. The entire army is subject to this rule and it is rumored to say that all Blood Angels models wearing Jump Packs may re-roll their reserve roll and they roll only one d6 for scatter. I really really like this rule as it seems the Blood Angels would definitely have a firm grasp on how to land after using their Jump Packs, however I don't think they're good enough with them to get a rule like that. They're an assault army and the Jump Pack is just another tool to them from what I've read over the years. The entire army should have Furious Charge by default, or at least get to pay for it for a few extra points per model as opposed to being Deep Strike masters. I see a rule like that belonging more to Raven Guard instead, as a majority of their army is either in Jump Packs or Speeders.

Another rule I'd like to talk about is how some of our vehicles are now "fast". I have one word to sum up my opinion on that: "excellent". I'm tired of rolling for Over-Charged Engines (OCE) as most of the time in my games I either roll a one meaning the vehicle couldn't move that turn or I'd roll a two or three and move as normal anyways. Now not only do we get the effect automatically but they expanded the ability from Rhinos and Baal Predators to Razorbacks and Vindicators. This is going to give the army a better ability to respond to situations, grab/contest objectives at the last minute, and just plain get across the table faster. I'm going to be watching a lot of battle reports this summer and probably making a few myself to see how much more of an impact this rule will make.

And finally, the most talked about entry in the Blood Angels codex is their new skimmer. So far it has been called the Storm Harbinger and the Stormraven, and it's inclusion in the army has been debated since late January when the original rumors of it's existence surfaced. Apparently it will actually be in the codex though the model won't be a first wave release. My guess is that they'll make it a summer release with any other Apocalypse super heavies that might be planned for that time. I'm also thinking there will be a third book for Apocalypse allowing all chapters of Space Marines to use it as Games Workshop is probably not going to spend that much money on a plastic mold for one army.

Well, I gotta run, so be on the lookout for new videos on my Sons of Sanguinius YouTube channel in the next week or so as I start to review the rumors during the lead-up to the release!

1 comment:

  1. Dave this is Jon Peer from Attactix. As far as your speeder release look for details in the "Spearhead" 40k expansion in June which is supposed to feature many new vehicles. I really hope the fast things are set up so that you have to pay out the nose for them because a vindicator that moves 12 then fires is a very frightening prospect. I really hope that the new Codex is balanced and fun not the flying dreadnought cheese rumors. Because if it is what I hope it is, the Emperor may have a new slavering blood fiend gathering skulls for the golden throne. See you Friday and prepare to die

    ReplyDelete